The communications, technology and digital media industries are fast-moving and complex. Firms are under constant threat from new entrants, value chain disruption and regulatory change. Fully understanding the landscape in which a firm operates is critical for prospective investors.
We can help you identify potential targets, perform necessary due diligence of the target, their market, and their business plan. Cartesian has the insight, expertise and tools to evaluate the long-term attractiveness of markets and target companies in this exciting and ever-changing sector.
Client case studies
Technical and Commercial Due Diligence on a Fiber Network Operator
Our client’s situation
An international Private Equity firm planned to acquire a Network Operator.
The Partner had already appointed a well-known, generalist strategy firm to conduct commercial due diligence, but recognized the need for a specialist in the sector for additional, deeper insight.
Our client engaged us to conduct technical and commercial due diligence.
What we did
- We engaged a team of strategy and management consultants with expertise in telecoms networks, network operations, OSS/BSS and competitive analysis to conduct the commercial and technical work needed
- Since the value of the network operator largely lay in its infrastructure, to assess the quality of the network, our team analyzed network maps down to street level and built a detailed view of coverage and compared this with competitors
- We also interviewed management and conducted site visits to evaluate operations and determine future investment needs
Our client received a richer understanding of the operator’s business, its competitive positioning and future capital needs, which ultimately gave them the confidence to execute the deal. Read more about this case study.
Commercial and Technical Due Diligence on a Content Security Vendor
Our client’s situation
A private equity firm was considering the acquiring a content security vendor.
They needed our expert advice on the target’s position in the market and growth trajectory.
Our client engaged us to do the commercial and technical due diligence.
What we did
- Our team reviewed the vendor’s product portfolio, capabilities, and roadmap in the context of the changing content security market; this included vendor IM and benchmarking KPIs
- We assessed the vendor’s position to grow market share with segmentation of its current and potential customer base and evaluated the product development investment necessary to achieve the target positioning to determine funding needs
- We also identified and evaluated post-transaction M&A options for inorganic growth
Our client gained key insights into the content security ecosystem and a red flags assessment of critical risks and issues to raise with management. To support growth, our client also received a target product roadmap, a forecast of required investment, and a short-list of post-transaction M&A targets. Read more about this case study.
How we do it
Equity investors and lenders enlist us to conduct commercial and technical due diligence on a wide variety of opportunities. We have the insight, expertise and tools to evaluate the long-term attractiveness of markets and target companies in this exciting and ever-changing sector. We help assess the market trends, competitive dynamics, technology, operational capabilities and regulatory environment to give you the complete picture.