Cartesian tests the robustness of digital video watermarking technologies through our Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark.
We developed this review through consultations with Hollywood studios, watermark solution vendors, MovieLabs, and the Motion Picture Association of America.
Cartesian is trusted by the video industry as being the independent third-party assessor of content security solution technologies.
Watermark Robustness Testing
Digital video watermarking has become essential in industry efforts to protect valuable content against piracy. It serves as a deterrent and mechanism by which video piracy can be detected and prosecuted.
Our watermark security testing is used to assess the strength of this video content security technology. The goal is to assess the level to which a watermarking technology is robust to manipulations applied to the video signal.
How do we test?
We assess the robustness of video watermarking technologies by replicating the tampering techniques used to illegally reproduce and distribute video content (i.e. piracy). These tests include compression, downscaling, cropping, aspect ratio alteration, and collusion. Such manipulations may have the goal of attempting to remove or destroy the watermark.
Our security team simulates a series of attacks at varying levels to ascertain at what point the watermark is no longer recoverable. The higher the intensity of an attack and the number of different types of attacks the solution can withstand give a measure of how robust the solution is.
Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark
Upon completion of a Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark, businesses may choose to display the shield mark on their website and publicity materials. Displaying a Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark shield mark indicates that a report is available from the auditee upon request.
FAQs about the Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark
What it means
- A specific product or technology of the business displaying the Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark shield mark has been audited by Cartesian
- An audit report can be provided by the auditee
- The audit results were accurate at the time at which the audit was carried out
What it does not mean
- The product audited is ‘certified’, ‘approved’ or in any way endorsed by Cartesian
- The product audited is ‘certified’, ‘approved’ or in any way endorsed by a studio, content owner or content licensor
- The product audited met Cartesian’s audit criteria
Who can display the Mark
A business may display the Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark shield mark if it meets all of the following criteria:
- A Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark has been carried out on a specific product
- The audit occurred within the last 2 years
- The auditee has agreed to the terms set out in the Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark trademark license
Who cannot display the Mark
A business may not display the Farncombe Security Audit® Watermark shield mark if it fails to meet any of the criteria listed above.
Companies who have completed the audit
These companies have agreed to have their audit mark appear here. If you are looking for a company that does not appear on this page, please contact us to check.